Sunday, May 13, 2012

Floor cushions!

Finally my 2 floor cushions are ready!  I love scrappy quilts. Besides my resolution is that I am going to use up most of my scraps and the fabrics i already have, before buying any more! One lesson learnt overall,  was that casement is not a good background fabric. The weave is too loose and loses shape ever so quickly. Since these were cushion covers and I wasn't planning to quilt them, I wanted a thicker fabric so tried casement.  I made the top, then put a lining of a thin mulmul (fine cotton fabric used for lining) , and held that together with the hand stitching, then made it into a cushion. The lining added as a of backing without the actual inner batting, and protected the seams.  I am participating in a BOM for Crafty's and both designs were originally learnt there.
The green and red one was the first one I made. I am happy with the results, the combination of  colours and the way I have matched them seems to have worked. The sewing has also been accurate as most points have matched, and thats a great feeling!



The second one looks attractive, but I am not overly happy with it. The colours haven't been coordinated well, and the darker strips seem to stick out in a random manner. Although there is no planned manner in which the fabrics have to be used, there certainly needs better merging of colours. Also the points haven't matched at all well. I realise that I will have to change the sewing lines on the blocks!




2 comments:

  1. the second one is nicely abstract-ish but the first one is absolutely glorious. i love the colours, specially in the central block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome finishes Brinda...beautiful choice of colours. I love your hand quilting too.

    ReplyDelete